Saturday, November 16, 2013

Toys have feelings, too

Lisy has been playing with her Princess Leia doll as if it was real. She includes it in her games, talks to it, and swears that it moves when she isn't looking. By dinnertime Benjamin had had enough when Lisy put the doll on the table.

"No toys at the table!" Benjamin loudly reminded her.

So she put the doll on a chair and gave it a handful of food, "so she doesn't get hungry. Don't look at her or she won't eat!" Lisy announced.

"Leee-seee! She is not alive!" shouted Benjamin.

Now, I've seen Benjamin read to his stuffed animals and tuck them in at night. And heaven forbid you accidentally step on one of them. I had to put a stop to this. Not to mention that shouting matches don't belong at the dinner table.

"Benjamin, leave her alone. Let her believe whatever she wants; she isn't hurting anyone. How would you feel if I told you that your stuffed animals weren't real?" I postulated to him.

*shocked gasp* Benjamin lowered his gaze and hung his head. He quietly answered, "I know they're not real. But in my heart I believe they are."

One morning the girls set up a breakfast of orange juice and biscuits for their dolls.

No comments:

Post a Comment