Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Girl on a mission


The children are all outside playing right now. Lisy just came in, picked up one of my shoes, and started heading back outside.

I stopped her. "Lisy, what are you doing with my shoe?"

"I have to kill a spliler (Lisy talk for spider)," she responded and purposely marched out.

I heard a small commotion and one of the boys saying something about killing a bug. Then Lisy came back in, put my shoe away, and went back out to play.

Several things struck me as interesting. First, she saw a bug outside and felt the need to kill it. Well of course there was a bug outside - that's where bugs live. I'm surprised she didn't see more of them. Why kill it? She certainly wasn't scared of it. We've tried to teach our children not to kill any life unless necessary; I guess she isn't old enough to get it. Next, she felt it necessary to use one of my shoes, as if they are the official bug killing weapons. Finally, for a person who gets distracted at the drop of a hat (we call her our little quail), she had amazing focus to finish her self-appointed task. She even put the shoe back where it belongs!

It was so amusing and unexpected that I wanted to share it.

Dom - OK, spliler isn't going to be a real tag, but I thought it'd be funny. We'll keep an ear out for spliler related stories.

*Update: Now when Dominic needs to kill a spider, he uses my shoes, calling them the "official spider killing tool."

1 comment: